Time these days is a precious commodity.
We can get so busy during the days and weeks that follow that we just can’t seem to get enough time for anything. We don’t even look after ourselves outside of the usual day to day things.
It’s easy to fall into a routine so much so that we don’t even realise that we have lost sight of the little things in life that we should appreciate and be grateful for.
Have you ever felt as though you have just had enough and need a change?
You feel stuck in a routine with what seems to be no escape and no end in sight?
You have become fed up and unfulfilled.
I know how you feel.
Usually, when people feel this way it is a sign of burnout and the need for change is evident.
The good news is that you don’t have to shave all your hair off in order to feel new again you just need to put into practice some self-care activities.
There are a ton of self-care ideas that you implement into your daily life that can make the world of difference to your life.
***Please note that this site uses affiliate links if you would like to read the legal stuff you can find it here
What is self-care?
According to the dictionary definition, self-care is “the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own health.”
Health is the one thing that you just can’t buy with money. You could be the richest person in the whole world and without your health you have nothing.
Self-care is not just about physical health, it is so much more than that.
Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.
Self-care activities help you to reduce stress and to feel better about yourself overall.
Here are some of the different areas of self-care:
Look after your thoughts and keep your mind clutter-free. Don’t let negative thoughts overwhelm you.
Make sure that you eat well, exercise and look after your body in general.
Find some time to pray and think about all the things that you are grateful for. We all have something to be grateful for.
Don’t forget about your friends. Find some time to spend with them and develop your friendships more.
Why is self-care so important?
Self-care is so important because if you don’t practice any type of self-care routine you will start to feel burnt out until it gets to the point that you could feel you are having a breakdown.
No one can just keep going and going without some kind of release mentally.
Let’s face it life can take a real toll sometimes. Work can get stressful, your children might start playing up, financially you could be stressed out or perhaps life is just not going the way that you expected.
Whatever the reason is if you don’t find a way to release some of that pressure at some point you could explode.
Protect your mind and practise good self-care activities so you can remain healthy.
How self-care can turn your life around
By practising some healthy self-care activities you can really make a huge difference in your life.
Overall you will feel lighter, things will not irritate you as easily as they did before and you will feel like you are living life again.
You will also feel happier and get a real sense of self-worth just by implementing a few of the self-care activities that I will list below.
52 Self-care ideas
Here is a list of 52 self-care idea that you can implement during your day. The best news is that activities are either free or will not cost you much money at all.
- Take some time out to grab a coffee with friends
- Get a new hairstyle
- Get your nails done
- Take 5 minutes out of your day to watch the world go by
- Text a friend
- Eat something new
- Write down your thoughts in a journal
- Go for a walk alone
- Watch your favourite program on TV
- Take a bath with candles
- Listen to some music
- Create a new recipe for dinner
- Go for a bike ride
- Order a takeaway
- Wear an outfit that makes you feel good even if you are not going out
- Sing to some of your favourite songs at the tp of your voice
- Find something that makes you laugh
- Watch the sunset or sunrise
- Go to bed early
- Treat yourself to a slice of cake
- Buy yourself a small item as a treat
- Find a hobby
- Visit a friend you haven’t seen in a while
- Take some time out to meditate
- Have a nap
- Ignore your phone for 30 minutes
- Go for a drive with no destination in mind
- Write down 5 things you are grateful for
- Be extra kind to someone
- Sit in the garden and do nothing
- Bake a cake
- Say no to someone
- Read a book
- Eat some chocolate without sharing
- Learn a new skill
- Buy a magazine and read it at your leisure
- Fix something that you have been meaning to do for a while
- Rearrange your bedroom
- Visit a place you’ve never been to before
- Plan a holiday or a weekend breakaway
- Get a massage
- Buy some new underwear
- Snuggle under a warm blanket
- Watch some old films
- Look through old photos
- Take some time out to pray
- Arrange a dinner party with friends
- Have a girls night out
- Try adult colouring
- Accidently on purpose don’t set your alarm clock and sleep in
- Declutter a small area in your home
Final thoughts on self-care activities
Learning to spend time alone is one of the most rewarding things that you can do for yourself. It gives you time to think and self reflect.
Self-reflection is a very important part of your self-care routine.
Always remember to take time out for yourself and do the things that you love and that make you happy.
There is only one of you so look after yourself!
- How to start a new life and be the best version of yourself
- How to be independent and strong (8 tips to help you)